Tuesday, April 17, 2012

Hilo area bed and breakfast

Does anyone know anything about the Hawaiian Victorian Island Princess Bed and Breakfast ? We are looking for a bed and breakfast in the Hilo are for next Thursday and as you might guest many are already booked.

Hilo area bed and breakfast

My wife and I stayed at the HVIP B%26amp;B for 4 or 5 nights a little over a year ago. We put up with it for the entire time we%26#39;d booked because we were out so much, so the drawbacks of the place weren%26#39;t a 24/7 proposition.

On the plus side, our room and bath were clean.

On the minus side, they were about the only part of the house that was. I%26#39;m sure the renovations are still going on - Tom is a do-it-yourselfer, but the projects were stalled, so walking through the house was sort of like being in an unfinished stage set with materials piled here and there on the uneven floors.

The kitchen area was so grimy and grungy that I was actually uncomfortable eating anything that had come out of the refrigerator (an adventure zone all by itself) or touched any of the surfaces there.

There are dogs that are ';part of the family,'; which means yippy and undisciplined.

The Brookmans are helpful in their own way, but so much of what they ';informed'; us about was at the level of pure gossip that I stopped asking questions.

Let me make it clear that my wife and I aren%26#39;t fussy travelers. We have been to Hilo numerous times, stayed in various levels of accomodation, and were not expecting the Moana Surfrider. One of our favorite places to stay is Arnott%26#39;s Lodge, which is about as barebones as it gets. But I feel that the HVIP B%26amp;B is not as nice as it%26#39;s presented on it%26#39;s website, not as classy as they%26#39;d like you to think it is. You might be happier with another place that matches up to your preconceptions instead of being disappointed by a place like this.

If The Old Hawaiian B%26amp;B has space available, I%26#39;m sure you%26#39;d like it a lot more.

I%26#39;ve never before written a critique that urged strangers to avoid a place; after all, we all like different things, so who am I to tell you to stay away? But do yourself a favor and find alternate accomodation.

Hilo area bed and breakfast

Thank you so much for taking the time to give us a heads up on the Hawaiian Victorian Island Princess B%26amp;B. We will continue the search for an alternative.


Have you tried The Bay House or Hale Kai? They both get good reviews on TA. Good luck and have a nice trip.


interesting ...

have never heard of this place, where is it?

(perhaps because I live in Hilo I have no need for my own uses to stay at a B%26amp;B, and one does not generally hear that a new B%26amp;B has opened its doors, not a big news item in this town, but I%26#39;m always interested to learn about new places)

Thanks for the review!


We stayed at Hawaiian Victorian Island Princess this year 2007 and saw nothing of what Elmer describes. Must be that all the ';renovations'; were complete and the floor was new tile.

They were like staying with family . Tthe dogs made up with my daughter. The beds are so comfortable and the sound of the creek running was nice to fall asleep by. Yummy breakfasts of all you could eat and the pineapple upside down french toast!

Tom and Dianne were very informative and helpful about what to see on the island.

We had a great time and would not hesitate to return.


personally, I can%26#39;t stand places where the owners%26#39; dogs get up close and personal ... some people like dogs and some don%26#39;t, I feel an innkeeper should keep pets away unless a guest goes out of his or her way to request dogs ... that%26#39;s my personal feeling of course and wouldn%26#39;t be shared by doglovers.

  • beauty
  • networking
  • No comments:

    Post a Comment