Wednesday, April 25, 2012

Waipouli Beach Resort or Hanelei Bay in May ?

Planning our first trip to Kauai for May. Based on what I have read the North Shore is most beautiful, but I%26#39;m enticed by the new resort, Waipouli Beach Resort in Kapaa. Which do you think Hanelei Bay or Waipouli Beach?



Waipouli Beach Resort or Hanelei Bay in May ?


I%26#39;ve never stayed in Kapaa and I probably will never stay there. A lot of people like the east shore because it is more centrally located and I%26#39;ve heard great things about this new resort. But Kapaa is just too crowded and there is too much traffic and commercialization in Kapaa. This is just my personal opinion.





I would highly recommend staying at the Hanalei Bay Resort. I have several friends that have stayed there and love it! Also, many, many people on this forum also love it! The North Shore is absolutely gorgeous in May and it is a wonderful place to be. There are lots of great restaurants, snorkeling, hiking, kayaking, sunsets, etc. on the North Shore. We usually rent a house and we’ve stayed at the Princeville Resort a couple of times (before kids). We spent a week there in Haena last July and it was magical. So if I had a choice between the two, I would stay in Princeville.





There is a great trip report from “Adeleeee” dated 8-23 thru 8-31 on September 5. The stayed at HBR and they have some great pictures. Check it out.



Waipouli Beach Resort or Hanelei Bay in May ?




Aloha from Kaua%26#39;i!





Personally I agree with ';Martik'; -- I think Kapa%26#39;a is just too of a commercial zone and too busy - altho%26#39; I know folks have said that the Waipouli Beach Resort is very nice -- I just can%26#39;t get around the fact that it is so darn close to the highway and Safeway! But the closeness factor about Safeway is probably part of its appeal to many folks!





I would opt many times over for Hanalei - especially in May when our weather is generally summer-like and you wouldn%26#39;t have as much chance of catching rain up on the North Shore.





It really depends a lot on you -- Kapa%26#39;a is more centrally located if you need to stay someplace that gives you easy access to both sides of the island -- Hanalei is certainly more beautiful with its taro fields and towering mountains -- but is more remote for driving elsewhere on the island.





Malama Pono,



Janet




It would take about a nano second for us to make a decision on staying in the Waipoli Resort ( and what is with the beach tag),



It is on the east shore, mostly non swimable, across the road from Safeway and the shopping center, and the most jammed up intersection on the island.





For, us, no contest.....HANALEI BAY RESORT is Kauai. It is magic, and beautiful, and totally emerses us in the magnificent beauty of the north shore.





You asked, and you have received.





And I do not care what man has hammered together, natures beauty is way beyond our abilities.





Denny




HBR gets very busy in May as it%26#39;s our homeowners meeting mid May (owners love to come in May)so book now if you plan on coming.




Aloha rockie00 :)





I vote Hanalei Bay. Weather should be perfect then. Also, it%26#39;s less crowded in Hanalei.





jc




Speaking of traffic, could anyone give me a time frame for AM/PM rush hour? For now I%26#39;m guessing 7-9am and 4:30-6pm.... could someone clarify this for me? Thanks.




Thanks everyone for your insight. Hanelei Bay it is. Does anyone know what the Princeville Resort renovation entails? I couldn%26#39;t find anything on their website, and wonder what impact it might have on being next door.




inorv8 wrote:



Speaking of traffic, could anyone give me a time frame for AM/PM rush hour? For now I%26#39;m guessing 7-9am and 4:30-6pm.... could someone clarify this for me? Thanks.









That%26#39;s about right ~ although maybe not as early as 7:00 a.m. I think afternoon may be a little earlier. However, there are bypass roads you can use. I use them all the time :)





Also, they adjust the lanes so that when the traffic flow is going south, the road crew will move traffic cones to create two southbound lanes, and then vice versa at the end of the day when everybody is going the opposite direction. Hope that makes sense.





jc




I%26#39;ve only been to HBR once for dinner at Bali Hai. To get to the Princeville Resort, you have to drive all the way to the end of the road (Ka Haku Road). HBR has a seperate entrance about 1/2 way down and you turn left (Liholiho Road) long before you get to the end. (You turn right again on Honoiki Road). Not knowing anything about the stuff going on at Princeville, my guess would be that you will not be affected at all at HBR. They are ';next door'; but only at the beach level, not on the road.





Here%26#39;s a satelittle image of the area:





…yahoo.com/…2




The Princeville Hotel construction will have no impact here at HBR except it will get busier because so many people want to stay here. Martik is correct. It is on the bluff next to the hotel. For now they are planning on starting in March but the buzz around here is it might be a bit later. They are having labor trouble over there.



The sunset last night was unreal from HBR. September is such a great time of year to come. Around 11 pm I could hear the rain and 10 minutes later the pounding was gone. Today the waterfalls are out. The island is busy (traffic is a mess with road work being done) but it is peaceful and weather is warm. The trades should be back today and that will be welcome. I loved going to Poipu yesterday but with all the trucks, dirt, and people I was happy to get back up north. Well off to another day in paradise. I don%26#39;t get a chance to do all the fun things you guys do on vacation I have to ';work'; but at the end of the day I sit on the lanai and soak in the beauty of Bali Hai which makes it all worth it.



With much aloha!

No comments:

Post a Comment