Thursday, April 19, 2012

Hiway 11 ftom Kona to the Volcano

For years this drive has been a narrow twisty road with narrow bridges and no shoulders. It used to take me 2.5 to 3 hours to drive to the park.

Well the county, to my utter amazement , has done a improvment.. the road is only narrow in a few very short sections, shoulders wide Lanes well marked. !!!!! The drive, driving at or under the posted speed, from Keauhou took me , without stops a short 1 hr 55 min !!

Also in this service desert, there are a new crop of road-side stands for fruit and crafts all the way to Punalulu........ things have gotten very visitor friendly. In fact the cheapest gas on the island is at Oceanview gas station ( only 1) m at 2.32 a gal when in Kona 2.42

From Kona, this route now is the best way to the park.... and while some may disagree... the views are stunning ;forest ,lava ,sea

Hiway 11 ftom Kona to the Volcano

Thanks HD! And I%26#39;m looking forward to that cheap gas. Regular here is $2.99.

Hiway 11 ftom Kona to the Volcano

OOPs............ Those gas prices are off by $1.00 per gal

$3.42 and $3.32.................


Thanks for the advice Dan I too am looking forward to the cheap gas prices. Where is this Oceanview station anyway?


That%26#39;s great news---it%26#39;s precisely the route I plan to take when I leave the north island for where I%26#39;m staying in the south. Of course, I%26#39;ll probably stop and take pictures all along the way so won%26#39;t quite make it in 2 hours. But the scenery%26#39;s great, so who cares? :-)


ocean view gas station is in Oceanview... a store, a post office and small hardware and a realestate office.......... thats the whole place....... about 300 ft long ! on the hiway 11... take the exit for them downtown business district ( kidding) you will have no trouble finding anything in Oceanview, except people


Actually

your gas prices are about $.50 higher per gallon than here. Not bad for Hawaii


good to know! I plan to take it for fun next time I go to Kona, although the northern route is shorter for me, but I get tired of driving it all the time.

Gas is 3.19 in Hilo though, so cheaper than Oceanview. Kea%26#39;au is generally as cheap or cheaper than Hilo.

Thanks Dan!


The COH lost a lawsuit that prompted the realligning of part of that road and all the road improvements.


Where do you pick up this ';short cut'; road? We are staying at the Kona Magic Sands Resort.

Thanks,

Sunnycam


Is something that recently took place? Or has this been done for a while?

Maybe I live in the twilight zone, but I thought the work had been done a while ago. Maybe I%26#39;m thinking of something else though.

  • web hosting plans
  • No comments:

    Post a Comment