Tuesday, April 17, 2012

Kauai vs. Kona coffee

Always bring back lots of Kona coffee when we visit the BI but won%26#39;t be going there this trip. How does Kauai coffee measure up? Any opinions would be appreciated. Mahalo!



Kauai vs. Kona coffee


I am thinking you%26#39;ll still be able to buy Kona coffee when on Kauai. Or am I way off base?



Someone here should know.



Good luck.



Kauai vs. Kona coffee


Even though you dissed us men in your shark thread posting, I will remain a gentleman and answer your query....





Elevation is a key factor in coffee cultivation.





Higher elevation beans are harder, more acidic, have a crisper flavor, and are more likely to produce a unique taste for a given region.





Commercially-grown coffee on Kauai, Oahu, Molokai and Maui is done at lower elevations. Almost all the fields are below 1000 foot above sea level; although higher elevations are being tested on Maui.





In Kona, almost all the fields are in the 1000 to 4000 foot elevation range, making for a more flavorful and distinctive-tasting bean.




Hope the doggy world%26#39;s treating you well, amberloo. Thanks for your response, and tell your owner I don%26#39;t really think there are reef sharks waiting for women on the beach, only LAND sharks! :)




I happen to prefer Kaua`i coffee.




Last trip, we visited two coffee farms in Kona, and bought coffee and t-shirts at both.





This trip, visited a Kauai coffee farm and bought a t-shirt.




I%26#39;m not sure the question was answered? Anyway, Kona coffee is a darker, full body coffee. Very rich and has a wonderful flavor. It is very much like Costa Rican coffee and I prefer both Kona and Costa Rican coffees (Yes, they grow Costa Rica coffee at the higher elevations as well). You can buy both a Kona blend and 100% Kona on Kauai. BTW, Costa Rican coffee is just as good and cheaper here in California. I%26#39;ve never seen it on Kauai





Kauai coffee is more mellow and smooth. A lot of people prefer Kauai coffee since it has a less strong flavor. Not as rich as Kona coffee (and not as expensive). You can tour the coffee plantation in Kalaheo.




amberloo, you are talking to the wrong konagirl ... i was the one who disdained you in my shark post ... and as I said there, it was meant to be humorous.





konagrl57, from a purely non-scientific point of view ... I drink Kauai coffee often. I%26#39;ve brought it back from Kauai and purchased it here, as well. But nothing beats the Kona peaberry from Bayview Farms.





I think as a rule (in my book) Kona tastes better. The Kauai doesn%26#39;t taste any better than Starbucks. But sometimes I imagine it to, since it did come from paradise :)




You can buy 100% Kona coffee as well as Kauai coffee at Costco, and almost anywhere else on the island. It%26#39;s really a matter of personal taste - personally I prefer the Kona coffee, but there%26#39;s certainly nothing wrong with Kauai coffee, either.






Aloha from Kaua%26#39;i!





Well as a self-confessed ';coffee junkie'; and someone who loves both the Kona coffee and our Kaua%26#39;i coffee -- here is my take on it.





Kona Coffee can be bought anywhere in the state at almost any grocery store -- just look for the bags that say ';100% Kona Coffee'; on them as many others who call themselves Kona Coffee actually are a blend with only a small amount of Kona Coffee.





Kona Coffee is a very rich, robust coffee -- I like it because I like strong coffee myself -- however I don%26#39;t buy it regularly because it is also very expensive. It has a unique flavor that I don%26#39;t think you can get from any other type of coffee.





Kaua%26#39;i Coffee is a great product also -- it is grown here on Kaua%26#39;i and you can visit the Coffee Plantation out on Numila Road just past Kalaheo -- you can visit their coffee tasting area and watch a video on their coffee making process -- I highly recommend the coffee tasting area -- sometimes I%26#39;ll stop there just to run in and grab a cup! Their coffee is a generally mild type -- much less robust and strong than Kona coffee. They have a great little gift shop with all sorts of coffee related products as well.





Each of these coffees has their own attributes -- just depends on what you like! You can easily buy either type here almost anyplace!





Malama Pono,



Janet


  • beauty
  • No comments:

    Post a Comment