Thursday, April 19, 2012

Package deals or buy seperately

My husband, 2 male college boys and myself are going during Thanksgiving week and I have been reading this great site for information and I am confused. Should I buy a package deal or buy our tickets and stay at a condo? I see some of the airfare costing $600 from Ontario,Ca. Which has been good for you? Can a 21 year old drive a rental car? Can I lose 20lbs before we leave?(hehehe) Thank you



Package deals or buy seperately


First thing, if it%26#39;s this Thanksgiving week you need to get going quickly. You could be limited to your choices.





We have always used the internet and always dealt directly with the property, airline, car rental agency. Except a few times when we could get the car in a package with the room cheaper.





The 21 year old usually can drive but anyone under 25 you%26#39;ll need to pay a pretty stiff charge for.





As for the 20lbs. I wish more luck than I%26#39;ve had. And if you do succeed don%26#39;t plan on it still being gone on your return. :)



Package deals or buy seperately


Thank You DreaminMaui,



I was just looking at flights and the price for that week is kiiling me when I look at the week prior. It is the only time we can all get away at a time. You live in Oregon? We have a place in Gold Beach at the Jotts condo%26#39;s. We love it there and the people too!




Try travelzoo%26#39;s top 20 this week, we just booked from pdx to maui nov 8th -14th air,car and room under $1400




Yep, the entire travel industry is geared that way. The busier they are the higher they are. It%26#39;s the same way around Halloween since they get big crowds there for the big bash in Lahaina. Any other week in October you could probably almost go to the airport and buy a same day ticket but around Halloween week forget it. And try to find a room in Lahaina for under $400.




DreaminofMaui, we%26#39;re thinking of going next spring. I had assumed airfares %26amp; hotel prices are higher in the winter, but are they? For example, would Feb be a great deal more $ than late April/early May?



Thanks!




half-Brit,





There are two ';slow seasons'; on Maui. One begins right after Labor Day and ends just b4 Thanksgiving and the other begins about mid-April (after spring break) and runs to mid-June when school is out. You should be able to find some pretty good deals, especially on airfare for May if you start looking now. Try Hawaiian Air. They usually have pretty good prices on their direct flights out of PDX. (%26lt; $400).





As for package deals verses going it alone, I%26#39;m with Dreamin, that is, if you have the time and desire to spend the time doing the necessary research. I have used TA%26#39;s in the past, but more for last minute type of trips.




In our area, Kamaole in South Maui, Christmas and the month of February are the most expensive for rentals. The month of January and March are next highest. The rest of the year is least expensive, with some wheeling and dealing possible in September and early December. May used to be slow, but has picked up; perhaps more Boomers are coming as they age into retirement?





The rates reflect when weather is nasty in many mainland cities. The islands are lovely year round. May would be my pick to enjoy the northern islands. Winter would be my choice for Big Island.




Thanks, dengay and ChiSue ... I had kinda figured that when the wind blows and the rain %26amp; snow fall on the mainland, that prices in the islands rise accordingly. Makes sense.



Yeah I know, Arizona is warm and dry too, but the beaches there leave something to be desired ..... namely the ocean! LOL




You%26#39;ll save half on the airfare if you fly LAX instead of ONT. I just bought tickets for my daughter who is at school in S.California. I got RT for $371 ttl, leaving LAX on 10/22 and returning the next Sunday.




Go see a travel agent today if you are serious about going over Thanksgiving. He/She can check out Pleasant Holidays or other reputable packages. Have an idea what you want - where you want to go and for how long. For a family your size and the tight timeframe, the packages will be able to give you plenty of options at a competitive price.





Losing 20 lbs before Thanksgiving would not be healthy ...

No comments:

Post a Comment