Thursday, April 12, 2012

Golf At Manele Bay

I saw a recent review that claimed that only 9 holes were open at the Manele Bay course. Any word on when the other 9 will re-open? There is no mention of any of this on the 4S webpage.

Golf At Manele Bay

I believe the answer is November -- call the pro shop and they%26#39;ll tell you exactly when they open up again. The reason for the closure is that they have replaced all the greens on the front 9 with a new type of grass that is more salt and weather resistant, and which they need to water less. They did the back 9 at some point in the past, and having played there in August, I can say that the results are very good -- the back 9 greens were quite consistent.

For what it%26#39;s worth, at least if you are a guest at the Four Seasons, they have a reduced 9 hole rate on the course ($120 I think It was; maybe $130?) and that basically got me unlimited golf for the day on the 9 that is open. The course was absolutely deserted, and I was able to play the back 9 twice (going back for a few of my favorite holes even more than that), to cobble together an 18 hole score. I don%26#39;t feel I missed out at all -- the front 9 which is closed is primarily holes on the island side of the clubhouse; the back 9 is the one which plays along the ocean, including the two holes that have carries over the water from the back tees. There were at least 4 holes that are more beautiful than any I%26#39;d ever played before, including at other ocean-side courses in Ireland and California.

Golf At Manele Bay

Thanks Wart. When you say that it ';basically'; got you unlimited play for the day, is that the standard? I had heard before on this forum that someone claimed it was a pay once and play as many holes as you want kinda%26#39; deal at both Manele and The Lodge course. Is that true? It%26#39;s certainly a little more of a bargain to pay the $125-$130 and play 18 in the morning and another 18 in the afternoon rather than having to pay twice. Tiring yes but a value.

I was planning on playing both of courses multiple times while I%26#39;m there and it would certainly be cheaper if the play all day rate applies. I could play Manele twice one day and play the lodge twice another day.

I arrive in Mid-December so I was planning on playing at least 4-6 rounds during my two week vacation on Lanai. Hope the pay and play all day rate applies.


I say ';basically'; because I was not clear if it was an official policy that you could play as many holes as you want at the reduced 9 hole rate, or if it was a case that, given the state of the course (half closed and almost empty) they were as laid back as everyone else at the FS and had no problem with folks making the turn as many times as they wanted. I also don%26#39;t know if that policy changes when the full course is open in peak golf season.

I have no doubt that while I was there, if after I played my 22 or so holes, I%26#39;d turned around and gone back for another 9, they would not have stopped me (in fact they asked, ';oh, you%26#39;re done?';).

I do not know what would have happened if I%26#39;d tee%26#39;d off 1st thing in the AM, played 18 or more, and then come back after lunch asking to play another 18.

  • Fish
  • No comments:

    Post a Comment