Saturday, April 21, 2012

How early is TOO early??

This may sound like a silly question but ...





I will be booking a private home one full year ahead of our intended travel dates. Our travel is scheduled for around Spring Break in 2009. I want to make certain I get the specific weeks reserved for my husband%26#39;s 40th birthday. How soon after I book the home should I book the flights to Lihue from Oakland on ATA?? I%26#39;m worried if I book them to early that drastic changes may be made to flight itineraries before the travel dates arrive!





Thanks for your help!



How early is TOO early??


The airlines only let you book so far in advance anyway. I believe it is too early now. Another thing to worryy about is ATA is not sure if they will continue to fly to Kauai from OAK. When I booked with them for Xmas 08 the reservationist said this route was an ';experiment';. I like flying Hawaiian out of San Jose. Takes me just as long to get to SJ than SFO.



How early is TOO early??


We tried to book our flight for next July just last month on Hawaiian airlines. The website said it was too early so we waited until the 11 month deadline. When we tried to book it 11 months out, a lot of the frequent flyer awards were already taken. My husband called them to question this and they said that if we called, we could have booked our flight sooner over the phone. We use FF miles to upgrade and there are 4 of us so we book as soon as we can. Luckily, we got our flight but we have to leave Molokai a day earlier than I wanted to AND at 6:00 a.m.! (I%26#39;m NOT a morning person). The good news is that we will get back LA at a reasonable hour.





Not sure what to tell you about ATA though. Joan might be right. You have time still so keep checking out the good fares. You might have to leave from SFO (I know, what a pain!) United has a direct flight from SFO that we put my mom on all of the time. With your little one, I would highly recommend a direct flght vs. going through Honolulu. Call the airline and find ot how soon you can book.




Good Idea!---The 40th birthday thing!---I did this for my DH%26#39;s 40th this past June. Now when its my turn I will certainly get to celebrate in Hawaii too! Right!



Anyway we booked 7 months in advance last year. I am in the process of looking for another trip for next June but am waiting for the airfare to go down. Its about $200 more a piece this time (on orbitz). But ATA (website) won%26#39;t even give me a quote this far out.




just a thought because we don%26#39;t use the same airlines from here in the east as you do....but Bookit.com had a flight last month (booking for May travel) from Newark to Honolulu for $530....the best I%26#39;ve seen. you might try that site for June.




I think that if there are specific dates, you should book the plane tickets as soon as they become available (assuming that they are fairly reasonably priced).





It%26#39;s doubtful that drastic changes will be made to your schedule. But in a year, expect a schedule change or two.




i agree with the whole air idea - i booked as soon as they became available as we are going over Thanksgiving this year - for my husband%26#39;s 50th!





I did book the house a little later than the 11 months for air.....





I really don%26#39;t think things go down enough to stress over it - especially since we have 6 people....





Kel




One sassymom, I%26#39;ve already booked a house rental and my airfare for specific dates in May %26#39;08. I had no trouble booking either one. We%26#39;re flying United/American from DFW to LAX to LIH. We got airfare for around $530 and I decided to grab it before it went up. My only problem now is that if it drops drastically, I will kick myself for purchasing too soon.





Good luck!

No comments:

Post a Comment