Tuesday, April 17, 2012

Kiahuna Plantation 10/4-10/7 w/2 kids

Aloha! My family will be traveling to Kauai 10/4-10/7 from Oahu. We want to experience the beauty of the island and not just ';sit on the beach'; all day (we can do that back in Oahu!)

I%26#39;ve tried to research some of the outdoor activity companies but I am having difficulty deciphering what activities will be possible with a 2yo and 5yo in tow. I know I can call the activity company directly but I am sure to get more honest responses here.

We will have a back-pack carrier for the 2yo and the 5yo is quite the outdoorsy type...no problem making a 2mi hike or a bit more. We%26#39;d love to kayak/canoe and do some hiking. Of course we%26#39;d like some beach time as well so any recommendations on a more ';calm'; waters beach would be great!

Thanks so much...I%26#39;ve learned quite a bit just reading through the posts. Got quite a list of places to eat going, LOL!

Kiahuna Plantation 10/4-10/7 w/2 kids

there are lots of hiking trails all over

you might want to check out the blue book, Ultimate Kauai Guide for hiking trail info

there are kayaks you can rent or guided kayak trips

there are catamaran/sailing trips

the farthest north beach Ke%26#39;e has a great wading area with virtually no waves

see the Lighthouse, north shore, Spouting Horn, south shore

Waimae Canyon, west shore...

the Kiahuna plantation is a great place to stay

lots of grass area to play on, beautiful beach

there is a pool across the street for the kids with a small slide

enjoy!

Kiahuna Plantation 10/4-10/7 w/2 kids

Check out Amazon.com, I just bought a dvd- ';Travel to Hawaii with Kids- Kauai'; There%26#39;s also one for Oahu and Maui. I haven%26#39;t received it yet but will post my thoughts on it when we get it. Shows a bunch of family friendly places to take your kids. It seems good and I know my kids would love watching it as well. There%26#39;s lots of info here- in the search box, search kauai with kids and I%26#39;m sure you%26#39;ll get lots of info. happy travels, aloha!


Aloha from Kaua%26#39;i!

I%26#39;d say that kayaking either on the Wailua or the Hanalei River would be fun for your family -- you can get all the appropriate safety gear for the keiki as well and since both rivers are calm, slow rivers to kayak on -- just bulk up on the sunscreen and bug repellent!

There are lots of places to rent kayaks but if you are on the North Shore I%26#39;d recommend ';Peddle %26#39;N Paddle'; in Hanalei town -- they%26#39;ve been around for 20+ years and can give you good info on where to put in the kayak as well as other tips.

In the Wailua area there are also several companies -- I don%26#39;t have a favorite one, maybe someone else could chime in on that. ';Kayak Kaua%26#39;i'; is one of them.

As far as hiking on a family-friendly hike -- you could easily go up to ';Nounou Mountain'; aka ';Sleeping Giant'; -- if you drive up Kuamo%26#39;o Road past Opaeka%26#39;a Falls you will come to the trailhead -- it is a lovely area that you can walk on an easy hike through a canopy of guava trees, ferns, etc. up to a little pavilion that overlooks the Wailua Valley. I think it is about 2 miles to the pavilion from the trailhead - I could be wrong, but it is the easiest part of the trail.

Hope you enjoy your ';holoholo'; trip!

Malama Pono,

Janet

  • graphics animation
  • No comments:

    Post a Comment