Tuesday, April 17, 2012

Construction area.

Can someone tell me in very simple terms, what roads are affected by the construction? And, in the Poipu area, starting with which hotels/condos, going north/east, would be the best choices for avoiding the construction? I am asking for myself and for a friend.

Myself, I have a decision to make between Kauai and Maui. It is in March. I have not heard much good about staying in the Kapaa area, and I%26#39;m a bit concerned about the North end because of it being March. So that is leaving the Poipu area. And it seems to be in the construction zone. EEEEKKKKK! Maybe I should choose Maui?????

Thanks for any advice!

Construction area.

the construction is between poipu and koloa, some construction across the street from outrigger kiahuna/sheraton area

I was just in Poipu and it was not a problem at all

no extra traffic and the noise wasn%26#39;t a issue

the traffic always seems to be on the east shore

I would recommend staying poipu or north shore

I never like to stay anywhere else on the island

you will be fine

choose Kauai, you will be fine

the construction is in a very contained area and was never an issue for my stay in Poipu

Construction area.

To answer your question:

Yes, there is construction in the poipu area, but if you stay to the east end of Poipu, you can darned near avoid any problems with all that.

Places to stay:

Kiahuna Plantation....Marriot Waiohai....Poipu Kai ( Poipu sands section )....Nihi Kai....the Point at Poipu..or the Hyatt..or other lodgings in that area.

Check out your copy of the Ultimate kauai Guide book, and you will be able to see what we are talking about here.

So, stay EAST from Kiahuna Plantation towards the Hyatt at Shipwreck beach.

You can take the easy by-pass road , from Poipu road, into Koloa Town, or out to the main highway thru the lovely tunnel of trees and not see any construction.

Also drive to poipu beach, or brenneckes, or have your own beach , from these suggestions, and not have to hassel any construction.

Just look in the UKG, at the poipu area map, and you will be able to see the small numbers printed on the page in the poipu area.

On the same two facing pages will be a list of condos and hotels that correspond to those numbers, and you will be able to check out what looks good to you.

You will also be able to have a great visual, and see where the area that is free of construction.

Denny


Aloha from Kaua%26#39;i!

I live here in the Po%26#39;ipu Beach area -- just about 1/2 mile from where the active construction currently starts up.

Basically the rule of thumb that I use to tell folks where to avoid construction would be: anyplace that is ';east'; of Po%26#39;ipu Beach Park.

The areas and condos off the top of my head that are affected by construction in the area that is ';west of the park would be:

Kiahuna Plantation

Marriot Waiohai

Sheraton Kaua%26#39;i

Po%26#39;ipu Kapili

all vacation rentals on Ho%26#39;onani Road

Prince Kuhio

Waikomo Stream Villas

Kuhio Shores

Lawai Beach Resort

These are off the top of my head and wouldn%26#39;t include any individual or small vacation rentals -- also some of these properties are more impacted than others. Sheraton Kaua%26#39;i right now is about a block away from the Koloa Landing Development project - but it will depend on where you stay at the Sheraton if it would impact you.

Po%26#39;ipu Kapili is directly in front of the construction and Waikomo Stream Villas currently is the most impacted of them all as the road construction on Po%26#39;ipu Road is active -- it was initially supposed to be complete this month, but it certainly looks as if they have a long ways to go yet. What Denny says about the area is ';spot on'; also!

All of these properties I%26#39;ve listed above are to the ';west'; of Po%26#39;ipu Beach Park. There are still tons of vacation rentals, condos, and the Grand Hyatt that are at the ';construction-free'; end of Po%26#39;ipu Beach --the ';east side'; -- some of these properties would be (again, off the top of my head!):

Po%26#39;ipu Kai

Nihi Kai Villas

Honu Kai Villas

Po%26#39;ipu Shores

Sunset Kahili

Makahuena

The ';Point'; at Po%26#39;ipu

The Grand Hyatt Hotel

If staying in a construction-free area is important to you -- definitely stay to the ';east'; of the park -- anything else is in either an active or upcoming construction area. There is still a closure on Po%26#39;ipu Road at Kapili Road (or Lawai Rd. intersection coming in the other direction) that directs you down to Ho%26#39;onani Road to detour around the road construction for the ';roundabout'; that they are supposed to be putting in.

Hope any of this helps -- if you have any specific questions you can PM me -- since I navigate it every day, I%26#39;m pretty familiar with what is going on construction-wise around here.

Malama Pono,

Janet


Hi Janet!

I%26#39;ll be at the Lawai Beach Resort Mar 22-29, 2008 and have been trying to get info on how construction will affect this resort at that time. Your input is greatly appreciated.

Is their a website that I can followup regularly on this construction?

Thanks,

PJ


Aloha from Kaua%26#39;i!

Well Denny works at the Lawai Beach Resort so he is probably the better author to this posting -- however you could certainly try the website for Kukui%26#39;ula Development project -- it is the ongoing project behind Lawai Beach Resort -- it is

http://www.kukuiula.com/

They do have some type of ';updates'; posted periodically on their website.

I know that they will be building this project for many years to come -- I%26#39;m not sure excactly what phase they will be in next March -- right now I believe they are working on the clubhouse area for the golf course.

I%26#39;m sure that Denny probably has more specific info affecting Lawai Beach Resort -- if he hasn%26#39;t already gone on vacation!

Malama Pono,

Janet


Thank you all for this very easy to follow help. It has been difficult to make this decision on whether to go to Kauai or Maui, for a week.

(Our other week is on Oahu).

Where we stay on Kauai does matter, but the decision has been ';which'; island. We love both and have had a hard time with this. Oahu is NOT in question.

We have 2 weeks. It is 14 nights and leave to go home on the 15th day at 7:30 in the evening. The second week is Oahu, mainly because we won%26#39;t have to island hop that last day, and that last day is a full day which is nice.

Breaking that first week up into 2 islands seems a bit nuts. So we have been trying to figure out which ';one'; other island we want to go to.

Have to come to a decision.

Janet, thank you for those lists. That is very helpful.

Stay tuned.


I will pipe in as I am on the island and spent the day in Poipu yesterday.

I was at Kuhio Shores and though I could see the black plastic across the street, I was in many units and this complex is not affected. It was gorgeous there. I saw 3 turtles playing in the cove. Love that place. Ugly from the outside, great views and updated condos (most of them) on the inside. All along that road leading to Spouting Horn is shielded but I would not stay at a few of those homes or condos along the drive. I would hesitate to stay at The Sheraton. The back units are across the street from a major constrction site which is almost finished blasting and ready to start building in 3 months.The traffic wasn%26#39;t bad and the detours are nothing compared to the traffic in Kapaa. Oh my!!! Also the traffic from Poipu to the shopping area where Macy%26#39;s is was terrible. There are many lovely places to stay on the south shore that have no construction around them. Of course I am up north now and happy as a clam. Beautiful day in paradise.


Thanks Joan. I%26#39;ll move Kuhio Shores to the OK list for Poipu.

I think our friends are going to do the Nihi Kai villas/condos. They stayed there in 2004 and seemed to like it. I visited them once, although we were at the Lihue Marriott, and the stairs were many.

The unit they were in was way in the back...quite a ways from the beach, and a smidgeon of an ocean view. They seemed to be ok with it.

I am curious about why Kapaa seems to be such a traffic town. I don%26#39;t remember that from 2004, but I am taking your word. Just wondering about it.

Thanks for your help.


Aloha from Kaua%26#39;i!

Kapa%26#39;a just wasn%26#39;t planned well in most folk%26#39;s opinion. It is kind of one long continuous ';strip mall'; type situation - somewhat similar to what I remember in Kihei on Maui.

The Waipouli Beach Resort was a very controversial project -- no planning to speak of for all the additional traffic coming out of the property onto the highway at an already busy intersection -- the 2 adjacent projects between it and the Marketplace have been put on hold I believe because of the lack of any type of planning for all the extra traffic that will be generated from those additional developments. I%26#39;m not sure of their status currently but I hope they are figuring out the traffic before they build.

Just a case of more development and no planning for all the extra traffic it generates -- not that traffic in Kapa%26#39;a was ever fantastic!

But then again, I%26#39;m sure it isn%26#39;t anything comared to some places on the mainland!

Malama Pono,

Janet


Aloha from Kaua%26#39;i!

Something I just thought about also -- we haven%26#39;t received a ';neighborhood update'; letter from Kukui%26#39;ula Development for a few months now -- since some of the things they mentioned in their last ';update'; are now supposed to be at completion (but visibly are not) -- I wonder if we will get another soon?

If we do -- I will post it here on the TA board for folks to see exactly what the developers say.

Malama Pono,

Janet

  • identifying rows
  • No comments:

    Post a Comment