Monday, April 23, 2012

PM snorkeling at Honaunau

Will be on on the BIg Island a week today for my first trip, and this site has been invaluable to my planning. I want to do as much as possible, but still leave ample time for rest (I tend to overdo it). I will be doing a morning kayak trip at Kealakekua Bay. I would like to spend the afternoon of that day at Honaunau. By mid-afternoon is it typically still decent-to good sea conditions for snorkeling Two Step?



PM snorkeling at Honaunau


I gotta say that everybody always says morning everywhere is better. (That is definitely true on Maui where the wind comes up around 11 and is wicked.)



But I am NOT an early bird and besides we drive down from Kohala...we always get to Two Step in the afternoon. Sometimes there is a surge, but there was one in the AM those days too--wintertime. When we go in, it%26#39;s always been great. It is so deep there is not the stirred up sand issue. Along those lines, half the time that we have gone to Kealakekua it was in the PM and I never noticed it being any different from AM.



There may be some seasonal issue I am missing--have been in January, April July, August. But the mountains on the BI have wind shadows...



PM snorkeling at Honaunau


No... it will not be as good or as safe due to tide, current and wind



this is an AM place form my experience





I would ask you reconsider yout Kayak trip.. as independent Kayaking is really damaging this heavily impacted area... it is not possible to avoid doing damage un less you enter and exit in deep water and do not land at all. Not long ago the coral came right to the waterline... now the entire shore area is either dead or dying



Next to swim with the wild dolphins, Kayaking here is one of the worst things a visitor can to...





Please understand I am not picking on you.... its a very hot topic here.... we need your help the place is dying.... There are many other Kayak sites Keauhou, A bay, Puoko, Kihio bay that offer huge bays and no risks to the environment......





By Taking Seaquest rafts...6-8 persons they go to both Capt cook AND Honauau.... and do it in the morning... its the best way to see both.. Its about $80 for a 4 hour trip..... and you can get internet discounts or use a cupon in thisweek Hawaii..........for$20 off.



it will be way better than on yourown




Thanks for the tip on Seaquest Rafts, HD. I%26#39;ll look them up.




FYI. I just spoke with Seaquest. The tour is $85 per person. If you book on the Internet it is $70 per person. The coupons in the local mags is $20 off per couple, so the Internet is the way to go. Thanks again for the tip.




One more question -- is 45 minutes at Honaunau and 30 minutes at Kealakekua enough time to see all there is to see?

No comments:

Post a Comment