Wednesday, April 25, 2012

pedestrian crossing of wailua mouth?

My wife and i will be staying by the Coconut Marketplace at the end of the month, and i was wondering if it%26#39;s possible to walk from there to Lydgate park. Looking at Google satellite there does not appear to be a pedestrian crossing of the river mouth (hwy bridge looks very narrow) - is there a sidewalk or bike lane that allows crossing safely on foot? thanks!



pedestrian crossing of wailua mouth?


No sir! We just stayed their at Kauai Coast Resort by Coconut Marketplace in August. You will need to drive. You need a car to see pretty much everything. Lydgate was a nice beach to hang out at and snorkel. Enjoy.



pedestrian crossing of wailua mouth?


people do it but I wouldn%26#39;t if recommend it.





If the County ever gets it%26#39;s finger out, the makai bridge will be replaced with an Acrow structure which will have 2 lanes + a pedestrian lane. I%26#39;m not holding my breath.




If the water level is low, you can actually wade across the Wailua River to Lydgate. Pretty easy but I%26#39;m not sure I%26#39;d recommend that option for most people, especially if you%26#39;re lugging a bunch of stuff.





Crossing the bridge on foot is pretty scary, and I definitely wouldn%26#39;t reccomend doing that. There%26#39;s a little more room on the mauka side of the road, but then you need to get back over to the other side.





Best option is just to drive and park at Lydgate.




Don%26#39;t have an answer to your post, but reading the words ';pedestrian crossing'; recalled my last trip to Kauai when we were in the Poipu area (I think near Brenneke%26#39;s Broiler) and there was a pedestrian crossing, but the only ';pedestrians'; were 7 kauai chickens walking across the street, single-file, in the exact center of the cross-walk. It was too funny!




Yes, critters do funny things.....a photo of that would have been great, like the line of dophins body surfing that wave.





We have lots of birds here,and one group appears to be a kind of starling, but not exactly certain.





Regardless, driving along our hwy 50, at about 50mph.



to the right side of the road was a white line. This bird was in the middle of the hwy, and saw me roaring down on him.





Now,not saying our kauai birds are totally kick back, but flight seems to be the last option.





Swear to the grand kahuna.....this bird sees my car bearing down on his bird bones....and instead of taking flight, he starts to hop.





Hop, hop , hop, comes to the white line on the right side of the road, and does a long leap over the white line.





Stopping in his tracks, he stands there and watches me zip past him. It appeared that he knew that beyond that painted line he was safe.





I was cracking up.....





Bless mother nature, she is hard to beat !





Denny




You can walk across the main bridge. There is a raised sidewalk - which is safe HOWEVER, to get to that sidewalk, you need to cross the lane that has the northbound trestle traffic, twice. I%26#39;ve done this many times, but I don%26#39;t like doing it at rush hour and I wouldn%26#39;t do it with little kids or carrying too much. I normally only walk to Lydgate (from your direction) to walk/jog on the pedestrian path at the park, so I%26#39;m not carrying anything. If I were to go for a picnic or a swim, I%26#39;d drive.





As Kwils said, you can wade across at the mouth sometimes safely, but sometimes you can%26#39;t.





If I were you, I%26#39;d drive, to save time, sweat and nerves.




Denny,



- Loved that bird ';playing chicken'; story, most of us don%26#39;t give them enough credit for their intelligence!






Aloha from Kaua%26#39;i!





I%26#39;m the same way about out mynahs -- I think they are some of the smartest birds I have ever seen -- even though they make me gasp and hope that they hop out of the way - especially in the early morning hours when they are really out on the roads! Chickens seem to stay (for the most part) on the shoulders so they don%26#39;t make me so stressed out when I drive!





I%26#39;m afraid I%26#39;m one of those who will brake for any type of critter, so beware those folks behind me!





And also -- I would never walk from Coconut Marketplace to Lydgate Park -- I%26#39;m amazed that so many people apparently do! Anytime you are walking on our highways -- they are just that -- highways with no pedestrian areas to speak of -- my opinion is don%26#39;t take the risk -- take your car!





Malama Pono,



Janet




I was curious, the OP said he looked at the Google sat photos so I looked at the Microsoft Live search sat photos and noticed there are 2 bridges in the photo. One looks one lane and the other two. It looks like the one lane cuts off the highway, crosses the river, then comes back in. But I don%26#39;t see any cars on it like the main bridge. What is that bridge? I don%26#39;t remember it when we were there on a day trip 5 years ago.





On the chicken issue our favorite was when we were there 5 years ago and the chickens where wandering around on the lawn of Burger King. I wanted to put up a sign that said, ';Our chicken tenders are FRESH!'; ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment