Wednesday, March 28, 2012

Oahu Revealed:by Andrew Doughty

Hello everyone;



I have read some past posts that this book is good to buy. I was wondering what your thoughts on it are? OR if anyone has one they want to sell me? I went on Amaazon and found a paperback one for $9.99 used. Which is super cheap is it worth it?



Oahu Revealed:by Andrew Doughty


do a search on the ';Revealed'; series...it is the worst guide in Hawaii..its advice has killed and injured scores, caused parks to be closed, angered police and residents.... and the author could care less about his stupid touts.





Hawaii bu the Mile ; Lonely Planet,: Frommers: National Geographic, Moon, all are good



Oahu Revealed:by Andrew Doughty


Thank you so much. That is pretty scary. I read somewhere that someone bought a ';book'; wasn%26#39;t sure which one and that it took them to some flooded hills and almost killed her husband and kids. I read that a board somewhere about Oahu dangers. I got scared. I was more into the book for cheap eats and such. I%26#39;m a little paranoid about venturing out too far since we don%26#39;t know our way around. Anyway, the book I researched does have revealed in it. No wonder it was also $1.99--I think that is the guide. OKAY, I%26#39;ll research the others as well..thank you, thank you!




I had purchased this book before we went to Oahu on vacation last year. I thought it was very good. We used it as just a guide, I also did a lot of other research on our activities, even this forum is a great source for that. I personally would not go off of the beaten path and risk my safety let alone my family%26#39;s just over 1 review that was found in a book. I would definately encourage tourists to do their homework before going to a new place.





There was a lot of information on different resteraunts that otherwise we many have not known about and some info on various activities that we also didnt think of doing, I thought the book was a good way to find out what else there was on Oahu.




Controversy aside ...





If you buy the used one, make sure it is a current edition. Guidebooks are a very good investment - but they have their strenghs and weaknesses. Please do read through the various posts about these guides and others. None are perfect - but doing your homework before you leave for the Islands is very, very valuable.




Thanks so much for the advice. Although I%26#39;ve been to Oauhu/Waikiki/Honolulu all the same...I still do my research/homework. I%26#39;ve printed out so much intoformation that I%26#39;ve had to organize it. I have a travel folder and each tab is divided with different things to do; Excursions; coupons, airfare; good eats; luaus; rental car. I know it sounds a little nuts but I%26#39;m organized that way. Also, my hubby doesn%26#39;t like to do all the research he just wants the ';bottom line'; so I print it all for our long flight and he will read it. If anyone else knows of any other books let me know. I can never get too much information and thanks for sharing your knowledge--I love this forum!





5wks and counting




JAM - you%26#39;re my hero!




JAM, I did the same, not quite as extensive, but I think I definately spent many hours on the computer and went thru tons of ink as well lol



This forum was soo helpful!!





...the hours of grueling research we go thru for our hubbys vacations...lol




Jam, my husband wants the bottom line too. I have a folder, but it%26#39;s not tabbed. Last time it only had one coupon in it, but it%26#39;s a start.




I thought I was the only silly one to do all this crazy stuff. I swear he thinks I%26#39;m overly obssessed with this trip BUT then again every where we go I have my research done. I%26#39;m use to getting all of this paperwork together--I do it in my job so it%26#39;s super easy for me. Whenever I get all this paperwork to him he loves to read it--then he says, WOW where did you find all this? He says I have nothing better to do :-) lol..he gets a little crazy when I do the itenarary thing. He says not to put him on any darn schedule he%26#39;s on VACATION!!! I tell him--I didn%26#39;t go an itenarary honey---but I did and I save it for me only--than I quickly push him on and say, OK c%26#39;mon we need to hurry :))))) I';M A SNEAK!! THESE MEN!! LOL




OMG Jam, my husband thought I was nuts. I did the exact same thing. He works Friday nights and every Friday, I was on this forum. I kept notes and printed out reviews, etc. I came across this forum



unknowingly and it made our trip. The advice was right on the line. It was a long flight and a lot of money, so I wanted evertyhting to be perfect. I did buy the book and it came in handy. I recommend it, but I didn%26#39;t know about it hurting Hawaii. We almost skipped hanauma Bay and almost didn%26#39;t rent a car and both things were wonderful. Also my husband, like some others, did read the stuff I printed out and at the last minute(of course) was very interested. MEN!!! and now it is Friday night and I read about everyone else%26#39; vacations and I think I am back on Oahu. Have a great trip, I am so jealous!!!!


  • mac rvd
  • No comments:

    Post a Comment