Friday, March 30, 2012

Protecting your Kauai Photos - What do you do?

Hmmm... maybe you guys can help me.





I plan to bring my digital camera with me and hopefully an extra memory card because I will probably fill up the first one! :)





I%26#39;m really paranoid of something happening to my picutres on the camera or card before I get back (whether something gets deleted or lost etc...) but I don%26#39;t have a laptop to dump the photos onto or burn them to a disc.





So my question is how do I get the photos onto a disc while I%26#39;m on the island? Can I just go into Costco and hand them my memory card? Will they put the photos onto a disc for me? I have one of those smaller cards, like the XD ones I think.





I%26#39;m just trying to figure out a way to protect my photos before flying home - just incase!!!





What do you guys do?





Thanks!





Jen





Protecting your Kauai Photos - What do you do?


Aloha from Michigan





I would think you could go to Costco, Walmart, Kmart, or even Longs to do that.



Protecting your Kauai Photos - What do you do?


I%26#39;ve never lost a digital print while flying - ever. BUT - I%26#39;m like you, still paranoid of ';what if.';





Since I usually take thousands of photos at a time while on the islands, I back them up in two places (other than my laptop). One set I put on a digital flash drive and I burn another copy to DVD disk. The DVD is the ultimate backup in my honest opinion. If you had internet access, you could even upload them to a photo site like Webshots or Flickr.




I should read more closely - you said DON%26#39;T have a laptop.





In that case, I agree with the previous poster. That%26#39;s your best bet.




aloha jenp :)





I%26#39;m not a digital photographer ~ I%26#39;m a film girl and i%26#39;m just starting with digital. That being said, there is a WONDERFUL photo place in Lihue that does nothing by photo processing, as opposed to Walmart, Longs, and the like. It%26#39;s called ';Photo Spectrum'; and on my last visits to Photo Spectrum, there were the computer terminals and folks were there viewing their digital photos. I%26#39;m pretty sure you can also burn a cd from there.





Also, should you want to print any ~ PS has the BEST color processing as they really strive to get the best Kauai color matches. You pay a little more, but if you%26#39;re like me and treasure your photos, you might consider them over Walmart. I%26#39;ve never been able to get my stuff done at Walmart as they%26#39;ve been broken down, super crowded, etc. And the one time I did use Walmart (on the Big Island) the photos turned out brownish.





Photo Spectrum is in Lihue, close to the museum, and Hamurai Saiman Diner. 245-7667, 2987 Umi Street in Lihue. You can start there :)





jc




';thousands of photos';





good Lord!




If you are a COSTCO member, I would suggest downloading your photos there...when you get home, you can view them online and have them printed etc and mailed to you, or pickthem up at yr local Costco center...ALWAYS back up yr photos..and always have xtr memory card...Never use same memory in someone else%26#39;s camera...and make you format before use...



fyi..




Erica is quite particular about her photos.





She uses photo spectrum for all of her photographic needs. Putting the digitial pictures on disks or getting enlargements, etc.





She took one of her kalalau valley photos and had it put on convas and mounted like an oil painting, all done by photo spectrum. Impressive !





We have also used longs when first moving to the island, and I thought they were just fine. But, the expert with eyeballs....she can still see...now prefers to use photo spectrum. If the admiral is happy, I am happy.





Photo spectrum is on Umi street. Turn makai on Rice, and in maybe a minute or so, Umi will be on your right. Turn right and park on the right. Photo spectrum is next to kibo japanese resturant on the right.





The UKG will have Umi on their map.





Denny




Thanks guys!





As long as I can store them somehow, I%26#39;ll be happy!





Photo Spectrum sounds great! On canvas huh? Oh, how nice! Do they have a website? I wonder what the largest photo size they will do... I%26#39;d love to blow up a really nice shot (hopefully that I%26#39;ll take) to a poster size and get it plaqued! :)





I%26#39;m sooo excited! 9 weeks seems so far away right now!





Take care,





Jen




jcwander: Thanks for Photo Spectrum.





I still do film with some digital. Nice to know about Photo Spectrum. I have mailed film to www.adorama.com and www.mpix.com, both of which are high quality (an reasonably-priced) processors. Although they do fantastic work (photos, enlargements, canvas, coffee cups,etc.), it is always scary to drop unprocessed film in the mail.





Would echo what others have said. Costco, Walmart, et al are ok if you aren%26#39;t picky. But if you are using a high quality camera system, why lose the quality with a budget processor?




Rocky ~



%26gt;%26gt;%26gt;jcwander: Thanks for Photo Spectrum. I still do film with some digital. Nice to know about Photo Spectrum. %26lt;%26lt;%26lt;





you%26#39;re welcome! I%26#39;m glad I found them. They do a great job, and strive to be one-hour, but usually the same day.





Another nice feature they have ~ they used to have drop off and pick up at major resorts. I know for sure they did the Marriott in Lihue when I stayed there. Drop off in the morning in the Sundries shop, and they%26#39;d have my prints back to me in the evening. I was free during the day to do whatever and didn%26#39;t have to plan visits to Photo Sepctrum or Walmart.





%26gt;%26gt;%26gt;Would echo what others have said. Costco, Walmart, et al are ok if you aren%26#39;t picky. But if you are using a high quality camera system, why lose the quality with a budget processor?%26lt;%26lt;%26lt;%26lt;





EXACTLY! You get what you pay for! I have had my film processed there, plus purchased a cd of my prints. I%26#39;ve mailed PRINTS home, and carried all negs/cd%26#39;s with me. As people from other travel communities know, I am obsessive about my film.





And the Photo Spectrum people really do a good job. None of this ';batch'; mentality ~





I hope you use them, and like them :)





jc

No comments:

Post a Comment