Saturday, March 24, 2012

Best Agricultural Tours/Stops?

We%26#39;ll be on the Big Island for the second week of March, followed by Maui for a week. We%26#39;re staying 2 nights in Hilo and then 4 nights in Kohala. I know there are many agricultural tours offered. What are the best ones to check out on the Big Island? I.e. is the macadamia nut thing hokey? Any particular coffee one? Is there a good place to see orchids? DH is a grain farmer and we both love plants/gardening. Thanks!



Best Agricultural Tours/Stops?


I know of none... there are just little shops and stands scattered around. The Mac Nut factory is just a outlet.....there are no tours. Ranches do nto offer tours Coffee places are scattered over 300 square miles...there is a Kona Heritage Coffey museum....about 2 hour drive south.





Orchids will be around hilo....a 3 hour drive one way



Best Agricultural Tours/Stops?


I%26#39;m in agriculture and before kids used to travel to Hawaii often.





The botanical gardens are nice and I think you would enjoy that. I know that some of my orchard growers would occasionally offer tours of their facilities but off hand I don%26#39;t remember which ones. If you find one that%26#39;d be cool but the botanical gardens is very nice and you%26#39;ll most likely enjoy that.





I%26#39;ve been on a tour or two of a coffee operation as well. It was really informative and interesting. Don%26#39;t be discouraged. There are tours out there and they are totally do-able.





As for the Mac Nut tour. I%26#39;ve been on a tour of the facilities but again I don%26#39;t remember if it was for work or for pleasure. My husband said when I took him we just watched a video and had samples at the shop. It%26#39;s all a blur but I know I%26#39;ve been inside the plant at one time or another so it may have been for my job.





It%26#39;s still a nice place to stop, it%26#39;s in between Hilo and the Volcano so it%26#39;s not out of the way of anything.





I think often people on the islands don%26#39;t realize that you or I have to drive 2-3 hours one way just to visit a destination at home. That%26#39;s just normal for most of us and we don%26#39;t mind.










Merriman%26#39;s offers a tour/dining package that encompasses where they get their produce, couple different garden areas - try search under Merrimans, Waimea - I read about it in so many places that I can%26#39;t refer you to one directly - it%26#39;s not cheap but we might do it anyway because I, too am a gardener - just backyard stuff, but ....





http://www.konalea.com/ so far I have found this website not complete - but is supposed to be organic coffee grower in the Holualoa area. I will dig up what I can find and can post more info if you wish -




Thanks! I found hawaiiagventures.com, which includes some Merriman info and looks like a great resource. We will check out the botanic gardens as well. Looks like there are several garden parks that sound very nice (http://www.hawaii.edu/sciref/hawaiigrdns.html).




Aloha Playgirl, Hawaii AgVentures is wonderful, I have done a few of the tours and have had first hand feedback about others, all positive. Favored reviews go to:



Hawaiian Vanilla, Amy Greenwell Ethno botanical Gardens, Green Gecko Coffee...



I believe Hawaii Forest and Trail still does Honopua Farm



hawaii-forest.com/adventures/merrimans-culin…



which was just magic.




I don%26#39;t think driving to the Macadamia Nut Factory will give you much ';feeling'; about farming but you can watch the video. The same with the coffee plantation tours, unless you go to Sharky%26#39;s Coffee Farm in Mt. View where they actually will walk with you to the field and explain how they farm. (You need to make a reservation.) You should stop at Akatsuka Orchid Garden on the way to Volcano, you can have dinner on the Kahua Ranch, and I certainly would recommend Peter Merriman%26#39;s agricultural tour. If you happen to be in Hilo on a Wednesday or Saturday, make sure to stop by at the local farmer market.




In Ka`u, there has been a large increase in small farmers since the sugar plantation closed. There is a coffee co-op here and I heard recently they are going to start doing tours later this year. It is really a great story since most of the farmers are former cane workers.



We have also seen an increase in vegetable farming but I don%26#39;t think tours are connected to this. However, there is a movement in Ka`u to promote agri-tourism. For instance, I know we have a bee person who is planning a vocation vacation concept that focuses on natural bee-keeping. Aloha Adeline had some good suggestions.




hmm, I love plants too but have never thought of doing a farm tour. Good you got suggestions already. Want to add that you will see many orchards and farms by driving.





In the Hawi area, there are miles and miles of mac nut orchards. In Kapoho, you can see the papaya farms. Orchid growing is mostly done under shade cloth.





Mac nut factory is not much and crowded when tour buses stop there (they all stop there).





Nani Mau is another botanical garden, Japanese style, just south of Hilo. Hawaii Tropical is more set in the rain forest. Nani Mau is not a great garden but for real plant lovers it offers species and orchids, all labeled.





Something that not too many visitors may do is simply go to a large nursery instead of paying for a tour. Rozette%26#39;s in Puna (in Hawaiian Paradise Park) for example.





The Bamboo nursery, Quindembo, is open Saturday%26#39;s, I think it%26#39;s half day. www.bamboonursery.com





There is that other major cash crop grown on the island, but the growers don%26#39;t give tours. ;-)




Did anyone mention chocolate?



Original Hawaiian Chocolate Factory





www.originalhawaiianchocolatefactory.com





Farm Tours





We are a working farm and are not ';open to the public';, however, we give tours of the Orchards and factory by appointment. It is not always possible to have a tour, but we try to educate and share our knowledge and special operation whenever we can. If you are in the Islands, you may call 808.322.2626 for more information.




A couple of links that might help:





www.konacoffeefest.com/drivingtour/map.html





www.alternative-hawaii.com/byotgdxb.htm

No comments:

Post a Comment